The Armada Grand Prix returns this year – giving club runners the chance to accumulate points and win prizes by competing in a diverse range of local races, nominated by the participating clubs.
The Grand Prix is organised by the Armada Athletics Network, a grouping of 14 local running clubs. The network works for the mutual benefit of the member clubs, such as sharing race timing equipment. 11 races, organised by member clubs, have been selected as part of the Grand Prix. These are spread out across the year and include a range of distances and (local) locations. Race finishers are awarded points based on their finishing position in each race and intention is to recognise the runners from each club who have the highest accumulated scores from their eight best results over the year.
However, this is not just for our elite athletes: The races are suitable for all and, by simply completing at least seven of the 11 races, you will receive an individual trophy. Additionally, and to recognise the importance of the role of the volunteer helpers at each race, each will receive points for their duties and those races will be included within the seven need to receive an award. Volunteer names will be submitted by the club.
TAC wants to encourage as many members as possible, throughout the run groups in the club, to take part. There is no requirement to enter the Grand Prix itself, only the individual races in which you choose to compete. As long as your club affiliation is registered, your attendance and points awarded will be totalled automatically. The full race list is tabled below and you can find more information on the Armada Athletics Network website here. The Grand Prix did run last year but wasn’t well publicised within TAC – this year we want to do better! You can see the 2022 results here.
TAC has two races included in the Grand Prix – the Tavy 13 and the Tavy 7 in October. It’s recognised that many more members will be volunteering rather than racing in these, and those names will be fed back to the Grand Prix organisers to accumulate their points.
Armada Grand Prix Races
Armada Grand Prix 2023 Format and Rules
(From the Armada Athletes Network website).
- Only open to paid up members. Each participating club needs to pay their annual subs
- The qualifying races are as listed. First race will be the Tavi 13 and the last race the Storm Race
- Every athlete from a participating club will receive a points allocation with the first athlete receiving 500 points.
- All individual participant who completes 7 of the 11 events in the Grand Prix will get an end of season award. All events score but a nominal 100 points to given to anyone helping at an Armada or their own club race provided we are given the name within 3 days of the event.
- If prize funds allow we will give an award to the highest points scorer from each club based on the best 8 races.
- The Armada committee will be the arbitrator of any disputes.